Madras University Distance Education |IDEUNOM
The Institute of Distance Learning at the University of Madras offers several graduate and post-graduate levels of courses. Established in the year 1981, the institute has a proud backing of alumni scattered all over the globe. Through the distance education system, the institute has courses in both regular and Open University streams.
A typical academic year at the Institute of Distance Learning (ideunom.ac.in) begins in July/ August and extends till April/ May. In addition to graduate and post-graduate programs, courses are spanning one year (from January to December every year) as well.
The Chepauk Campus of the University of Madras is the main venue for admission along with several Spot Admission Centers spread all over India.
The Open University System of University of Madaras
The Open University System of the Madras University Institute of Distance Learning was introduced at Madras University in 1985. This is aimed at providing educational prospects to people who do not have any essential qualifications but aspire to go for higher studies.
The only prerequisite for admission in the Open University system is that the aspirant should have completed 18 years of age as on July 1 of the year of entry. However, there is an essential entrance examination to test the candidate’s literacy level to join a particular course.
The various course curricula in the distance learning mode are designed, keeping in mind the industry needs.
The certificate and diploma courses also meant to enable students to teach a particular skill set. The Institute of Distance Learning of the University of Madras is one of the upcoming institutes of its kind in India.
The Board of Madras University.
The Board of Madras University was formulated in 1840, which is the precursor of the Presidency College today. The historical Charles Wood’s Educational Dispatch put forth a systematic educational policy whereby the University of Madras came into place as a replica of London University.
With the status of one of the three oldest universities in India (the others being Calcutta University and Mumbai University), Madras University (or the University of Madras) was established on September 5, 1857. Located in the city of Madras (now known as Chennai), the university has five campuses – Marina, Guindy, Chepauk, Taramani, and Maduravayal.
There are a plethora of specialization courses on offer in over 50 departments of the university. On the other hand, all the university engineering programs were transferred to Anna University back in 2004.
In addition to regular teaching/learning processes, the various departments undertake research studies as well.
Madras University has about 43 external research institutes. At any given time, there are over 8000 students enrolled in different graduate and post-graduate courses at the university.
A 300 member strong faculty caters to the all-round development of the students.
Abiding by its motto “Learning Promotes Natural Talent,” the Madras university has produced some noteworthy alumni whereby a few stalwart figures are Dr. Chakravarthi Rajagopalachari, Dr. Sarvapalli Padhakrishnan, Dr. Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy, etc.
A landmark in the city of Madras – the Senate House – is a part of the university campus. Founded in the year 1869, the Senate House is the first building of the university and a place synonymous with Chennai today.
With a blend of Indo-Saracenic, Byzantine, and European features, the Senate House’s architecture reflects the eventful past of India.
Courses Offered by Madras University Distance Education
UNDERGRADUATE COURSES (3 Years Degree)
- B.A. CRIMINOLOGY & POLICE ADMINISTRATION
- B.A. ECONOMICS
- B.A. ENGLISH
- B.A. HISTORICAL STUDIES
- B.A. PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
- B.A. TAMIL
- B.B.A. BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
- B.C.A. COMPUTER APPLICATIONS
- B.COM COMPUTER APPLICATIONS
- B.COM. BANK MANAGEMENT
- B.COM. COMMERCE
- B.COM. CORPORATE SECRETARYSHIP
- B.LIT. TAMIL LITERATURE
- B.SC. MATHEMATICS
- B.SC. PSYCHOLOGY
POSTGRADUATE COURSES (2 Years)
- M.A. ECONOMICS
- M.A. ENGLISH
- M.A. HISTORICAL STUDIES
- M.A. HUMAN RIGHTS AND DUTIES EDUCATION
- M.A. POLITICAL SCIENCE
- M.A. PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION
- M.A. TAMIL
- M.B.A. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- M.B.A. HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT
- M.B.A. HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- M.B.A. LOGISTICS & SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
- M.B.A. MARKETING MANAGEMENT
- M.B.A. SYSTEMS MANAGEMENT
- M.COM. COMMERCE
- M.SC. COUNSELLING PSYCHOLOGY
- M.SC. CYBER FORENSICS & INFORMATION SECURITY
- M.SC. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (I.T.)
- M.SC. MATHEMATICS
- M.SC. PSYCHOLOGY
- MASTER OF COMPUTER APPLICATION
DIPLOMA & CERTIFICATE COURSES
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN COMPUTER APPLICATION
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN E-COMMERCE
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN NATUROPATHY AND YOGIC SCIENCE
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN PLANT CELL AND TISSUE CULTURE
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN POLICE ADMINISTRATION
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN SPOKEN TAMIL
- CERTIFICATE COURSE IN WRITTEN TAMIL
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN YOGA
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN LOGISTICS AND SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN SCHOOL MANAGEMENT
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN TAXATION
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN TEXTILE & FASHION DESIGN
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN TOURISM & TRAVEL MANAGEMENT
- DIPLOMA IN MANAGEMENT
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN ACCOUNTING AND AUDITING
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN CATERING AND HOTEL MANAGEMENT
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN FUNCTIONAL ARABIC
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN HOTEL MANAGEMENT
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN LABOUR LAW
- DIPLOMA COURSE IN POLICE ADMINISTRATION
- DIPLOMA IN INFORMATION SECURITY AND CYBER LAW
- DIPLOMA IN NATUROPATHY & YOGIC SCIENCES
- P.G. DIPLOMA COURSE IN PUBLIC RELATIONS
- P.G. DIPLOMA IN SHIPPING & PORT MANAGEMENT
- P.G. DIPLOMA COURSE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE (PGDCS)
- P.G. DIPLOMA EXPORT AND IMPORT MANAGEMENT
- P.G. DIPLOMA EXPORT FINANCE AND DOCUMENTATION
- P.G. DIPLOMA IN HOSPITAL MANAGEMENT
- P.G. DIPLOMA IN NATUROPATHY & YOGIC SCIENCES
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR ADMISSION IN FIRST YEAR OF B.A / B.Com / B.Sc / BCA DEGREE
- The Pre-University Examination conducted previously by the University of Madras or any other University accepted as equivalent thereof by the authorities, University of Madras.
- The Higher Secondary Examination [Academic or Vocational Stream] conducted by the Government of Tamil Nadu [or] other States [or] Union Territories [or] an Examination accepted as equivalent thereof by the authorities, University of Madras.
- There should be a minimum gap of two clear years between the date of appearance in the examination in which the candidate has passed the S.S.L.C. [X Standard] and Higher Secondary Examination (+2) or any other equivalent Examination as prescribed in the Prospectus for joining the Madras University Distance Education First Year of Degree Course.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR ADMISSION POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
DURATION OF THE PROGRAMMES
- PG programs having Two years and an MCA program having Three years are offered in both the Academic and Calendar year cycle of admissions.
ELIGIBILITY CONDITION FOR ADMISSION
- A Pass in any undergraduate degree program offered by any College or a University recognized by the UGC with 15 years duration either under 10+2+3/11+1+3/11+2+2 or an examination accepted as equivalent thereof by the Syndicate of the University of Madras provided they should satisfy the requirement of the concerned branch of study
Who is the Chancellor of Madras University?
|Name||Honble Thiru.Banwarilal Purohit,|
|Designation / Position||Governor of Tamilnadu is an honorable chancellor of Madras University.|
Who is the Pro-Chancellor of Madras University?
|Name||Thiru K.P. Anbalagan,|
|Designation / Position||Hon’ble Minister for Higher Education Government of Tamil Nadu|
Who is the Vice Chancellor of Madras University?
|Designation / Position||Vice-Chancellor University of Madras|
Who is the Registrar of Madras University?
|Designation / Position||Registrar University of Madras|
Who is the Director of Directorate of Distance Education Madras University?
|Name||Dr. K. Ravichandran, Ph.D|
|Designation / Position||Director|
Who is the Controller of Examination of Madras University?
|Name||Dr.K.Pandian, M.Sc. Ph.D|
|Designation / Position||Controller of Examination University of Madras|