Know everything about the optometrist, this health professional is trained to diagnose everything related to visual health.
The optometrist is defined as the specialty that is responsible for primary health visual health. He is the professional who develops as an optometrist. It has the capacity and legal authorization to diagnose visual health. Composed of accommodative, refractive, structuring and sight engines.
It prescribes medications with the aim of battling the refractive, binocular and sensory problems of the person to be treated. He /She is trained to study and diagnose diseases of the pathology and visual system. This is when they recommend or work in collaboration with ophthalmologists.
The meaning of optometrist and opticians focuses on those specialists. They have the ability to determine if a patient needs glasses. With the aim of performing visual therapies that improve the patient’s conditions.
They fight against visual diseases such as amblyopia, which consist in the reduction of visual acuity. Strabismus, where the eye suppresses the images. Diplopia, where the patient has to see double images, among other visual diseases
They have the necessary knowledge to prescribe glasses to patients with less than average vision. Due to the low level, they do not need surgery. They have knowledge and can prescribe any kind of lenses, including soft and hard contact lenses. As is the case with contact lenses that are prescribed for the treatment of keratoconus. Also lenses of inverse geometries, corneal malformations, and orthokeratology
What is optometrist? How They Trained?
- They are trained to diagnose any type of visual problem.
- They control all medical devices related to visual functions, eye structures, and visual structures.
- They carry out treatments constituted by glasses, with the aim of improving the visual problems that the patient has.
- Through assessments, they detect the level of severity of visual diseases. As is the case with myopia, farsightedness, diopters, and astigmatism.
- They can place prescription lenses in glasses and handle the quality of it.
- They are able to place any type of contact lens that the patient requires.
- Develop processes that educate the patient, with reference to visual health. How to take care of your eyes and prevent future diseases that compromise your eyesight.
- The optometrist is usually the first step to detecting a problem in the visual system. Likewise, diseases such as hypertension and diabetes are trained through thorough eye exams.
- The optometrist works within the assignments that benefit the visual system of society. They diagnose and treat visual problems such as bad formations or refraction deficiencies. They also carry out processes that prevent diseases in the visual system. Like all branches of medicine. Optometrists sometimes require support from other health specialists
- The labor field of professionals specialized in optometry. They operate in specialized optical centers. Which is where most activities related to the visual system are developed? As is the case of diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, lens assembly, among others. They are trained professionals to work with specialists in ophthalmology.
- That is why they can participate in refractive surgeries. The activities they carry out in this health sector. They relate to the management of visual medicine devices, diagnose and advise patients with eye problems. They perform the required exams before and after the surgical processes.
- They can work within industries specialized in the manufacture of any type of lens. That is why this profession has such broad horizons.
OPTOMETRY WHAT IS IT?
Professionals who employ this profession. They aim at prevention, assessment, diagnosis, and improvement of visual injuries. That is why optometry specialists examine all the elements of the visual system.
Through analyzes that allow diagnosing the problems presented by the patient. In order to carry out the indicated treatment that the poor conditions of your eyesight improve.It is a task that requires great responsibility.
That is why in each study center where the specialty is implemented. Processes are carried out that develop the student’s intellect. Clinical training and studies on optical physiology are necessary. They have the capacity due to the development of knowledge, to perform analyzes in the eyes that determine visual problems.
They are able to diagnose the severity of eye disease and the reason for this problem. It is necessary to highlight that in some cases visual diseases develop due to other diseases such as arteriosclerosis, hyperthyroidism, and diabetes.
What are the Services / Duties ?
- They perform analyzes that study the external and internal conditions that structure the eye. With the objective of diagnosing diseases such as conjunctivitis, retinal disorders, and cataracts
- Exams that determine how the patient’s vision is. If you have myopia that is a bad vision from afar. Hypermetropia is related to visual fatigue. Astigmatism affects visual distortion.
- Perform the most appropriate treatments with contact lenses or glasses.
- Analysis that determines the patient’s visual, focus, color and depth capabilities.
- They make orders to other health professionals in the case of diseases that require surgery or systemic conditions.
- Perform comprehensive optometry exams
- They perform pediatric or pediatric optometry analysis. To study children’s visual conditions and perform tests and treatments that improve their quality of life.
- They make and subscribe to contact lenses and glasses with the best evolutionary conditions.
- Perform treatments that accommodate the vision.
- Exams that analyze the patient’s visual field conditions.
- Tests related to eye diseases that determine the conditions of the person they are treating.
- They perform tests that determine if the patient has subnormal vision conditions.
- Processes related to eye prostheses.
- Perform ocular electro-diagnosis.
The History of Optometry
This branch of health is not directly considered by many as a profession of medicine. This specialty has great prestige worldwide. Because it allows for solving many problems related to diseases that have a large percentage of the population of society.
The profession of optometry is developed in activities that can be carried out by both men and women. In relation to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of the vision system. In Latin American countries, as in the case of Argentina, it was exercised until 1933. Nowadays, knowledge related to these visual health sciences is again implemented. With the aim of correcting visual impairments in the population.
What is Pre-Optometry
It consists of the developments of the visual system that were made before the year 1300. This stage focuses on the period before the inversion of the lenses. Where the man with eye problems should live with his defect.
Sometimes even be marginalized by society and themselves. This photo was not able on many occasions to correctly elaborate the activities that corresponded. They were called visually impaired.
The population that has small visual defects was labeled as ill. They were treated by connoisseurs of the visual system of the time
Without really understanding the difficulties from the vision. The invention that marked the pattern between one stage and another was that of the lenses. That he had the objective of improving visual difficulties.
The optometry career is trained to train. Professionals trained in the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention of diseases that affect the visual system. Its objective is to prepare specialists in optometry in any case.
Like those that represent the development of methods that improve eyesight. Also, collaborators of other experts, professionals specialized in visual medicine such as the ophthalmologist.
It develops in the labor aspect within private and public industries. They work in hospitals, outpatients, consultancies, companies that produce sight-seeing, clinics and education centers.
The degree in optometry is focused on training professionals who develop as integral experts in the development of visual health. Its diagnosis, treatment, and prevention are within the processes that must be performed. They carry out processes that improve the patient’s visual conditions.
These professionals carry out research that draws technical and administrative processes. With the aim of improving the conditions of eye treatments.
OBJECTIVE OF THE OPTOMETRY WORK:
The development of this activity is surrounded by technological evolution. Optometry is currently supported by these devices at the time of diagnosis. Similarly, when implementing a treatment or rehabilitation process for problems that sometimes cause eye diseases
Where Optom Work / Working areas
- They are prepared to perform optometry consultations. They manage the patient’s visual field within their evaluations. They perform contactable methods. Visual exams, binoculars, and support in refractive surgical processes.
- Perform optical services.
- They are developed in workshops where ophthalmic lenses are developed.
- They work within institutions where children with difficulties in the visual system are educated.
- They develop their work in optical research services institutes.
- They work in educational institutions where they provide training related to the visual system.
Optometrist VS ophthalmologist
These are medical professionals who specialize in the ocular treaty. It is necessary to study medicine during the regulatory period of 6 years. For this purpose, carry out the specialization in a time of 4 years.
They work within all sectors that cover the visual problem. They are the ones who perform if necessary eye surgeries.
They also trained to graduate glasses. You have the opportunity to specialize in a particular area within ophthalmology As is the case of specialists in the retina, glaucoma, cornea, poor vision, among others.
They have the legal possibilities of prescribing medications, due to their medical condition. As previously stated, they are trained to prescribe lenses, among the ones they use most as a method of treatment, are those of contact. After a study of what the eye needs.
They are trained to diagnose infections or batteries found in the eye. They carry out studies that focus on improving the eye conditions of their patients.
Eye problems (ophthalmology):-
Problems that occur in the eyes are treated by ophthalmologists. Through medical treatments and in more serious cases eye surgeries. The doctor specializing in ophthalmology is called as an anatomy-pathologist of the eye.
The problems that concern the eyes are of various etiologies. However, whatever the situation afflicts the patient; they need treatments or therapies performed only by ophthalmologists. Ophthalmologists are the only health professionals with the ability to direct surgical processes and drug treatments. Since they were trained to perform these methods
This professional focuses on visual health. Among its faculties this diagnosis and treat problems related to the vision of their patients, with lenses. They perform rehabilitation and therapies of the visual system.
Their procedures are usually handled through binocular vision devices, which exercise sight. They make telescopic lenses for patients with low vision. They deal with problems related to amblyopia, strabismus, among others. They also have knowledge related to the optical market.
The optometry consists of 4 years of study. They are not legally conditioned for the prescription of medications. They do not have the ability to perform surgeries. They work in hospital areas focused on optics.
You could say that optometry is a sector of ophthalmology. Since ophthalmologists can work as optometrists.
While the optometrist is not trained to take the role of ophthalmologists.
These problems in patients are what optometrists deal with. Through health science methods that do not include drugs or surgical procedures.
Optometrists professionals are described as physiologists of the visual system.
Conditions that exert vision problems in healthy eyes dominate or as they are also called “eye problems.” They treat myopia, farsightedness, and astigmatism presbyopia, among others. That originates in the problems of monovision and binocular.
Most vision problems are generated by wrong positions of the population. These when exercising an activity that requires visual requirements, whether work or study. Similarly, vision fatigue causes problems.
The environment in which the distance between the objects is found. What makes the visual approach a more complex job.
Lenses and glasses are the treatment that the optometrist implements most strongly since it compensates for visual defects.
With the aim of improving the quality of life with respect to the health of the visual system of their patients. It is important to note that optometrists and ophthalmologists can work in teams.
They are responsible for carrying out an analysis of the visual system in the population of children. They take care to give it special attention since the age they cover when the vision develops is responsible for educating the patients and representing them, in search of incorrect visual postures. Because they can cause problems that hinder the child’s learning process.
The development in the vision of the human being begins from birth, through natural stimulations. The surrounding environment represents an important factor in this development. It is necessary to constantly perform visual exams to children.
In order to prevent future problems If the child has vision problems, it is necessary to treat it in the shortest amount of time. Because the brain has a lower degree of adaptation if the problem gets worse Pediatric optometrists should monitor and prevent amblyopic problems. Through tests, they diagnose the disease according to the symptoms.
They also fight against myopia, strabismus, wrong definition of color and other eye diseases.
People, who play sports, need good physical conditions due to high competitive levels. That is why a good vision is necessary. Sports optometry, aims to treat and monitor the visual conditions of athletes.
It forms a series of methods that help with the development of a good vision that collaborates with sports performance. In it, the athlete is educated in reference to visual behaviors in order to take advantage of all the conditions to improve. Likewise, it prevents risks generated by physical activity.